Yoast is undoubtedly the best SEO plugin for WordPress which lets you to do a brilliant on-page SEO for your blog posts with ease. If you don’t have a good understanding about this great plugin, then this tutorial will help you in setting up Yoast on your blog. I will guide you to do the best configuration for Yoast plugin which will ensure a perfect on-page SEO for your blog to boost its rankings in SERPs.
Yoast Best Configuration
To configure the settings of Yoast WordPress SEO, follow below instructions and complete the steps. After completing the below described steps, Yoast will be configured at its best for optimizing your blog for search engines. To start setting up Yoast, go to Titles and Metas section of Yoast and then complete below steps:
1. Customize General Settings: First of all, customize the general settings of Yoast. In this section, prevent search engines from picking up the description for your blog and blog posts from directories like Moz and Yahoo directory. This will ensure that search engines pick and show the description for your blog which you have written for it. Also check the boxes under Clean up the <head> option to remove unnecessary tags from head section and save changes.
2. Disable Indexing of Categories and Tags: In next step, disable indexing of tags and categories. It is important to prevent search engines from indexing content under categories and tags, otherwise issue of duplicate content occurs which lowers rankings of your blog. Yoast allows you to disable category and tag indexing easily. To do this, go to Taxonomies tab and then check the boxes in front of noindex, nofollow option under both categories and tags section and save changes.
3. Disable Author Archive Indexing: When author archive indexing is left enabled, the content gets indexed several times; first under the post URL and then under the author URL. It also creates the duplicate content issue and you should disable the indexing of posts under each and every author. If you are the only author on your blog, still it is important, as it will eliminate the risk of duplicate content issue.
4. Enable Rich Snippet: Yoast can help you in showing your image in Google search along with your blog posts and pages. Sometimes it gets hard to show the image even after adding your Google+ profile link on your blog and after adding your blog URL in your Google+ profile. Yoast adds author attribute to the posts and integrates your Google+ profile to ensure that your image appears in SERPs. To enable this, go to Home tab and select your profile in Author highlighting option. Ensure that you have provided your Google+ profile URL in concerned field under your profile page (yourblog.com/wp-admin/profile.php)
These were the most important configurations of Yoast plugin. Now lets discuss how to optimize your post using Yoast WordPress Plugin.
1. Rewrite Post Title: Post title contains most important keywords and it decides either your post ranks well in SERPs or not. Yoast lets you rewrite the post title for search engines. Use your main keyword in title to craft an attractive title for your post. Use the keyword only once in the post title as repetition isn’t recommended.
2. Craft a Good Meta Description: Meta description is the advertisement of your post in search engines which is displayed in SERPs by search engines as an excerpt of your post. Meta description tells the searcher about the information your post contains in it. It plays a significant role in deciding either the searcher clicks your post or not.
After writing up your post, save its draft and click on Page Analysis tab. Yoast will analyze your post for SEO score and will recommend you if something is missing in it. Check and fix the issues and publish your post with a brilliant on-page SEO for it.
In Page Analysis report, you may ignore some recommendations. These include the Flesch Reading Ease report and outbound links analysis. These factors aren’t crucial but Yoast considers them as important.
So this was a tutorial on setting up Yoast on your blog and to optimize your post using it. I hope you understood how to configure Yoast WordPress SEO plugin for its best output. If you face any difficulty in using this plugin or facing any other issue, you can ask me in comments. I would love to answer you 🙂