2013 is about to be a part of past and 2014 is about to come in next few days. Now it has been decided that which plugins performed the best in 2013. So today I have compiled the list of top 10 WordPress plugins which received most downloads and rocked through entire 2013. In upcoming year, 2014, we expect the similar ranking as these plugins are true champions in providing the functionality under their specialization. The list contains the free plugins from WordPress directory.
1. WordPress SEO by Yoast: WordPress SEO by Yoast dominated the plugin market and a very big number of downloads made for this popular free SEO plugin. It revealed the awareness about SEO among bloggers and the huge downloads of the plugin denied the theory that bloggers ignore SEO 🙂
2. Contact Form 7: Contact Form 7 ranked second in the list of top 10 WordPress plugins for 2013. Download of this plugin showed that every blogger wants to stay connected with his / her audience and revealed the fact that bloggers are the most social creatures on the planet, even more social than ants 🙂
3. All in One SEO Pack: The third most downloaded plugin from WordPress.org‘s directory in 2013 is All in One SEO Pack which is one of the biggest competitors of Yoast. This plugin’s ranking once again revealed the prominence of SEO among bloggers.
4. JetPack by WordPress: JetPack enables several premium features from WordPress.com on self-hosted WordPress blogs and it ranked at fourth in the race. Although it is one of the heaviest plugins, which slow down the blog, still it succeeded in making place in the top 10 list of popular plugins in 2013.
5. Google XML Sitemaps: The plugin truly deserves to be placed in the top 10 list as it simplifies and automates the task of generation and submission of XML sitemaps to search engines. Bloggers recognized the value of Google XML Sitemaps and used it to ensure that their blog is visited by search engine bots too, along with humans.
6. WPtouch Mobile Plugin: Several studies in 2013 including Google’s research on internet users revealed that people are shifting towards mobile phones to access information on the go. So to bring responsiveness in their blog design and to make it mobile-friendly, WordPress users used WPtouch Mobile Plugin in 2013 and the plugin will dominate the market in 2014 too.
7. Askismet: Spam is one the worst headaches of WordPress users and they trusted Akismet to keep their blogs safe against spam comments. Akismet stood at 7th position in popularity.
8. WordPress Importer: Huge downloads and installs of WordPress Importer revealed that WordPress users do not trust online services for keeping their blog backups and they keep their blog backups offline too. The installs of WordPress Importer plugin revealed yet another fact that more and more people are switching to WordPress.org.
9. TinyMCE Advanced: WordPress users used TinyMCE Advanced to customize the editor in their WordPress blog and made it the 9th most downloaded plugin in the year 2013.
10. Broken Link Checker: WordPress users took care about the structure of their blog and used Broken Link Checker plugin for any possible broken links. It ranked at 10th in the list of top 10 WordPress plugins in 2013.
So what do you think? Which plugins will keep rocking in 2014? Will the list change by the end of 2014 or will stay almost similar? Don’t forget to share your views 🙂